Thank you for visiting Little Blessings Doula website. My name is Julia and I live in Southern California with my husband and two children. In 2009 my husband and I became parents. Early in my pregnancy I discovered that the maternity care I was receiving didn’t fit the vision of care I had hoped for so, at nearly 5 months pregnant, I switched care to a midwife. My experience with both children were different, and through birth and early parenting I learned that I had to surrender to the process.
In 2012 I took my birth doula training and shortly after became a DONA certified birth doula. In my journey as a birth doula I found that most families who felt supported during pregnancy and birth produced more confidence and made informed choices that best supported their family individually. So in 2013 I took a training through ICEA and began teaching childbirth education. I was certified through ICEA in 2016. I volunteer with several organizations like Doulas of Southern California (DASC), where I am an active member, former board member and circle meeting leader. I am also working to bring awareness and raise money for nonprofit companies that help reduce the birth disparities in Black women who, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), are nearly four times more likely to die during pregnancy, childbirth, and the first year postpartum than White women.
My philosophy as a birth worker is to empower families with the knowledge and support needed to write their own story. I hope that I can help reduce anxieties and increase understanding of the birth and postpartum process that will promote satisfaction. I believe the decision on location and method of birth is ultimately up to the family, but through compassionate guidance, I hope to assist families in having a safe, comfortable, and joyous parenting experience.
I have experience with the following:
- Vaginal birth after cesarean birth (VBAC)
- Planned cesarean
- Unmediated vaginal birth
- Medicated vaginal birth
- Premature labor & birth
- High risk pregnancies
- Pregnant person over 40
- Single parents
- Water birth
- DONA International Birth Doula training March 2012, certified September 2013
- DONA International Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas
- Hypnobirthing Doula since June 2012
- Midwifery Today Workshop September 2012
- Certified in Acupressure in pregnancy, labor support, and postpartum care (DONA) February 2013
- ICEA Trained May 2013
- Full Circle Encapsulation Training March 2014
- Cedar Sinai Doula Advisory Committee Member (CDAC) 2015
- DONA International February 2012
- Doulas of Southern California March 2012
- International Childbirth Education Association 2013